Tuesday, February 10









The most noticeable effect of working in the dark is that everyone is more sleepy.

Yesterday, we cooked dinner by candlelight. We ate by the light of one electric lamp. Lauren brought us presents, among them: Schott's Miscellany 2008, a Massachusetts firefighters calendar 2009, a wristwatch-pedometer, and a sock-knitting kit. We staged a shadow puppet show that evolved into a dino stacking contest. We shot most of this, however darkly, and with overmuch "outside" talk (especially now that we have a sensitive microphone thanks to Travis!). The experience is related to method acting -- I was wearing my costume and I soon learned to stuff my pockets with the things I needed (flashlight, lighter, water bottle, etc.) to keep from losing them. Others gathered near candles to work, or sat still in the dark, just talking. So, we are learning to function without light (I peed sitting down), but what's the next step? Will the process yield a product on tape? Do we care? People seem to be down on the movie. We are eating and keeping house too much, spending too much time just hanging out. I am happiest when cooking and talking about things other than the movie, does this mean the project is failing? I was looking at Aurora's drawings again and and Joe's facebook photos and wondering wondering how I would feel if we made a group personal documentary about renting an apartment, trying to figure out what to do with ourselves and how to make a movie. Is that a defeatist attitude?

No comments: