Tuesday, February 10

Carrot Butternut Soup


Yesterday I went on a really long walk from FGP4 to Red Hook. It was kind of scenic. I saw some empty doomsday piers and scary giraffe I met up with Aurora and Ariel at the Ikea to buy some housewares. It was spooky, and I am not sure why I went in the first place.

When I got back, Trav and George were already in the dark, shooting by candlelight. I cooked by candlelight, and butternut squash soup which was (for me) the high point of the evening. Maud and Lauren came over, and we all had a very tasty dinner-- soup, and spicy greens and potatoes.

Ariel asked for the soup recipe:
_______

1 Butternut Squash
2 Onions
2 inch finger of Ginger
Olive Oil
Pepper
Hot Pepper Flakes
6 Carrots
4-5 cups water
2 bay leaves
SALT
Yogurt (optional, and if that shit is cream-top don't you DARE stir it.)

1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Split squash down the middle, rub olive oil on exposed flesh and put it it face down on a metal sheet in the oven; roast for about 30 min.
3. While squash is roasting, peel and chop onions and carrots. (I did not peel the carrots, but most people do, I think)
4. Sauté onions and carrots in olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot. Add black pepper and red pepper flakes. Grate fresh ginger into pot. When onions are soft, add water and bay leaves. Simmer.
5. Remove roasted squash from oven, allow it to cool, then peel it. Chop into little chunks and add them to the pot.
6. Add SALT to taste
7. Cook until flavors meld and squash is squishy.

You could blend this, but we had it chunky.

8. Serve by candle light with yogurt.
_____

After dinner we did a dinosaur shadow puppet show. I think it looked pretty good. Lauren filmed it and assures me it will look cool set to music.

MICHAEL: dinoshadowpuppetopus.

George won the dinosaur stacking contest. Then Aurora filmed George and Lauren trying to figure out the pedometer watch that she gave him. I think that will be pretty good footage, except Maud and I were yammering in the background.

George ran back and forth to test the pedometer, and I think that sort of thing is the solution to low energy situations. Running around by candle light.

Does anyone have a kerosene lantern?

2 comments:

steph said...

i am so glad my dinosaurs made it into the movie.
:)

George said...

Yes, thank you for bringing them.