Thursday, February 5

Will Smith and Jellyfish


While George and I were on our ill-fated toilet paper expedition yesterday, we stopped into a bodega to get some Marcal (recycled of course). In there were a group of highschoolers discussing Will Smith's movie Seven Pounds.

SPOILER ALERT!

This movie has an incredible premise. Will Smith is responsible for the death of 7 people. So he finds 7 people who need healthy organs. Then he KILLS HIMSELF WITH A JELLYFISH IN A BATHTUB so his organs can be safely harvested to save the lives of 7 strangers. The 7 pounds are probably: heart, 2 kidneys, liver, both testicles (one pound each), and his stomach.

I think that this gets back to debates about plot, form, and premise. No matter how perfectly stunning your plot is (see above) you can end up with a terrible movie (the kids in the bodega said it was way too over-dramatic).

All I'm saying is, New Beginning at The End of The World is as good a premise as any: its what we do with it, and how we do it, that counts.

I wish I had been there for last night's shenanigans. I will be gone tonight and back tomorrow -- I'll be moving some things into the apartment to live/work/entwine my tail with others.

No comments: